Virginia is a state rich in history and nature. Whether you’re visiting for the first time, or have lived here for years, this Virginia Bucket List will keep you busy for quite a while – and teach you a thing or two at the same time.
1. Edgar Allen Poe Museum – Get a look into early nineteenth century Richmond and see a collection of Edgar Allan Poe’s manuscripts, first editions, personal belongings and more.
2. Virginia Creeper Trail – 34 miles of trail from Abingdonto the Whitetop Station near the NC state line. It’s open year round to hiking, biking and horseback riding.
3. Museum of Contemporary Art – Located in Virgina Beach, the museum features painting, sculpture, photography, and other visual media.
4. Natural Bridge Park – Situated between Lexington and Roanoke. The Natural Bridge is one of the oldest tourist destinations in the U.S.
5. Thomas Jefferson House – Explore the beautiful grounds of Monticello and learn more about Thomas Jefferson and slavery.
6. Gaol Public Jail Tour – Don’t miss the cells that once housed thieves, runaway slaves, debtors in Williamsburg.
7. American Civil War Museum – Exploration the American Civil War from the perspective of Union and Confederate solders, slaves, free African Americans and civilians.